Are you experiencing abrupt hang ups? Calls disconnecting unexpectedly? You may be experiencing dropped calls.
Call dropping issues can be incredibly frustrating to deal with. Good news! We've put together this guide to diagnose and resolve any call dropping issues.
Typically, dropped calls are caused by jitter on the line. Jitter indicates a connection issue occurred on the call. Jitter affects your call's packets of audio data transmitted to-and-from. This can result in packet loss and, subsequently, your calls dropping. It's also possible that your calls are dropping due to the software on your device Thankfully, there are a few steps that may alleviate these issues.
Your internet connection
While your internet connection may have lightning fast speeds most of the time, if your speeds are temporarily throttled, you may experience call quality issues. Here are some steps that may resolve jitter:
- If you're using WiFi, reset your router
- Switch to a different internet source (e.g. WiFi to data or vice versa)
While the strength of the internet is the most likely culprit, it's also possible that the issue is due to the device itself. Here's a few things you can do to on your device to help improve your call quality:
- If you're running any CPU intensive programs in the background, try closing those programs
- Try switching between mobile and desktop (e.g. you may find that your laptop works better with a weaker internet connection than your mobile)
Software problems on your device with your browser or your operating system can cause issues with call dropping. Here are some tips to help resolve these issues:
- Reset your device
- Perform a hard reset/completely restart your browser
While these steps typically solve the problem, if they do not, then we'll need to dig into them a little more.
If this issue is only occurring with one contact, it's likely that the issue is coming from their end.
For all other issues, please email our support team with the following information and we can look into those calls:
- Your OpenPhone phone number
- 3 numbers you were on a call with where this issue occurred
- Approximate date and time of call
- What OpenPhone app you were using (i.e. iOS, Android, Mac, desktop)