If you already have a phone number you'd like to use with OpenPhone, we'd be happy to port it for you for free.
Here are the 2 things we need to get started:
- Your latest phone bill for the phone number you'd like to port. Simply forward it to email@example.com
- Fill out and sign a quick form authorizing us to port your number to OpenPhone. We'll email you the form so you can sign it digitally - no need to print and scan!
Important things to keep in mind when porting your number:
- Do not cancel your account with your current provider before or during the porting process as it will interrupt your service. Once the port is complete, you'll be able to cancel no problem.
- You need Internet access (wifi or cellular data from a local carrier) to use OpenPhone. If you're porting your personal phone number to OpenPhone, you'll need to get a data-only plan to accompany it.
- OpenPhone numbers aren't able to receive SMS verification codes from some services. For example, services like Uber, Airbnb, WhatsApp, don't allow virtual phone numbers to be used for authentication for security purposes. If you're porting your personal phone number to OpenPhone, this is a limitation you need to be aware of. We recommend using your personal phone number for 2-factor authentication and using your OpenPhone number for all other purposes.
Want to learn more about how the porting process works?
These are the steps involved:
- You send us your latest phone bill with your current provider and give us permission to port through the form you sign
- We submit these documents to your current provider and negotiate a port date
- Once we hear back, we inform you of the port date and time when the port will happen
- On the port date we make your phone number available in your OpenPhone account. As soon as the number is ported, it's available in the OpenPhone app so there's no interruption to your service
- Once the number is ported successfully you can cancel your account with your current provider
The process takes anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks and depends on how fast we hear back from your carrier.
Need instructions on porting from specific carriers? Check these out:
Have more questions about your specific situation? Send us a message and we'll assist!
Ready to port? Send us your latest phone bill to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get to work. 💪
Don't have an OpenPhone number yet? Get started for free today!